Friday, January 27, 2012

Independent Spanish Learning Resources?

Hola! I have this innate reaction to kids that even though they may move or grow up, I will never stop being their Spanish teacher. Once my student, always my student. With that said, I have two students who moved back to Sweden with their family last year. I happen to know their mom from salsa dancing, and she messaged me to tell me that her oldest child feels that he is learning no Spanish at school. He is not given vocabulary lists or homework. She bought him Rosetta Stone, but he doesn't like it. She doesn't know how to help him! 


I have shared my elementary website, www.fcspanish.com, with them for now, but considering this kid is now in 7th grade, he will soon outgrow what my K-5 sixteen-lesson-a-year curriculum can provide. Do you know of any resources I can share with him that can help him advance his Spanish independently? I was thinking of sharing the BBC Languages page with them, but it is rather disorganized and not user-friendly. I'm not really sure if anything exists that he can work his own way through without getting super bored or missing the interactive piece that is so necessary.


Heck, I may end up creating a custom curriculum for this kid and skyping him for free. I can't give up on a kid who sees the value in being multilingual (he speaks at least German and English already) and who wants to learn Spanish!! 


Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment